Thursday

My View on Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day but  .   .   .

Unlike more fortunate couples, my husband only gets one day off in the entire week. This is how often a typical poor to middle class New Yorker needs to work in order to survive in this big city. It's pretty expensive here, for example your rent will typically cost you 3 weeks of your paycheck, you may also have to pay for heat, sometimes even hot water, electricity, gas and cable/dish/direct tv, as well as groceries, transportation, etc.... Living here isn't cheap or relaxing, it's expensive and stressful but like I always say: Any city is just another city, it's the people who make the city a wonderful place. There are a few jerks here and there in New York City but that's when you catch us on our bad day, unless you've crossed someone who is just angry all the time, that's a different story. Unfortunately those angry at life kind of people are everywhere in the world & I sincerely hope that one day they find peace and happiness in their life. 

I've noticed that Valentine's Day is a big deal and some people who are single complain and throw themselves a pity party. Well, don't feel bad & please, spare yourself the negative energy because (1) I grew up without a father so just imagine what father's day was like for me as a child when every year every classmate would make a Father's Day Card - luckily I was an optimistic kid and I looked up to my father-like uncle's (my mother's brothers). (2) I don't celebrate Christmas and every year when I'd see those all American movies with all American families with their very own house, pretty lights, Christmas trees and a full family (as in father, mother, siblings, and from both sides: aunts, uncles, grandparents etc...) I wouldn't be sad but to me it was all a fairy tale. 


I guess my point is that here in the United States, we tend to commercialize everything and make everything look like a Disney fairy tale. This is bad because then people, especially women like myself ask ourselves "DO I NOT DESERVE THAT LIFE?" DON'T DO IT! DON'T WANT THOSE THINGS! 
The reality is these things are also what drive the men in our lives insane. 

The problem with us women & yes admit it! Don't lie cause you're only lying to yourself - you've done it too! Everyone woman has had this moment at least once: You see another woman and how she has something you don't and happy she is then you sabotage yourself and wonder why you can't be that happy. That's when you go out of your way to get what that woman has - cause in point relationships, according to Psychology today over 50% of single women prefer men who are already committed (who have a girlfriend or are already married). Why? I'll tell ya: because they think just because THAT woman is happy SHE will be happy too. W R O N G !

Valentine's Day shouldn't be about whatever the hell people have brain washed you into believing it's about. The true story of Valentine's Day is just a fairy tale, why are you doing that to yourself? You are a grown woman! Calm the heck down!

Here's what you need to do if you're single or married:

DO THE THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY!

  • Eat your favorite food
  • Cheat on your diet and eat that five layered chocolate covered chocolate cake
  • Get some champagne and watch movies all day
  • Do something you've never done before
  • Finally learn how to cook a pasta dinner
  • EAT, EAT, EAT & EAT! Eat your favorite food & enjoy every single bite! 
  • Single? Go to dinner or coffee with your mom, sister, friend, cousin, co-worker, WHO CARES! 
  • Dating? Do a candle light dinner at home!
  • Married? Do the things that used to make you happy & have plenty of sex all day!

Happy Valentine's Day
x o x o
Amela Sandra




No comments:

Post a Comment